Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Yaadein

It's 11:33pm right now. I have class tomorrow at 2pm, for which I have to read 250 pages tonight. I have been awake since 6am this morning. I have been marching non-stop since then. What am I doing now?
a)Sleeping a fitful sleep?
b)Catching up on 250 pages of reading on the Ottoman Empire?
c)Writing my response due for class tomorrow?
d)None of the above
This is not a trick question.

Tonight the Islamic Center @ NYU had its first event: Welcome Back Dinner/ Ice Cream Social. It was the first time I was up at bat - the first time I was in charge of something, and it made me realize all that's involved in planning a relatively simple dinner, and how time consuming it is! My appreciation for past IC executive board members grew immensely (heenie beans, that means you :) and though I was thoroughly exhausted afterwards, it felt good to be doing...something for one's community. I'm still in a bit of denial in regards to the fact that I'm a SENIOR in college, but having an event like this, where I got to see babies, and inviting them to participate in something that has meant so much to me these past few years, felt really good :)
I also felt sad..because....this would be my last welcome back dinner!! God! The most cliche statements become applicable to my life, which I know is terribly corny, but so true. Freshman year really does feel like yesterday - I vividly remember my first Ice Cream social, and meeting people who would become close friends and confidants.

Life goes too fast. I want it to slow down. I just want to savor this, but instead Monday becomes Wednesday and then Friday...and then it's Monday again. And I pause to think, and am overwhelmed when I realize I'm almost done with my formal education.
Yaadein yaadein yaadein...I don't want to be nostalgic...I don't want to grow up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Iqra Bismi Rabbika said...

dag u make me feel like a buddi body ...

sigh yaadein yaadein yaadein...

11:31 AM  
Blogger Iqra Bismi Rabbika said...

dag u make me feel like a buddi body ...

sigh yaadein yaadein yaadein...

11:31 AM  
Blogger Iqra Bismi Rabbika said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home